Sunday, October 31, 2010

"Adam is in Europe."

Mr. Pants escaped from my care, in some unknown suburb. I left my apartment and looked for him, lost in the place that I lived but no longer recognized. It was getting close to dusk and I worried for the cat I was looking after. I searched for what I thought was missing, all the while holding him so close. Mr. Pants hadn't really run away, he was in my arms and I was holding him tight. So tight at times I worried that I was hurting him, but I couldn't let him run away again. In my fear of letting him go I didn't realize all this. All I could feel was the pressure of loss at my fault, and had to find him.

I tracked him to the apartment of another couple of women I did not know. They were both very young and wore too much makeup. They knew James and Anna, said that they had left and were at the studio. I said "I am looking for Mr. Pants," they replied "Adam is in Europe." And they continued to give me answers I didn't need. I took a quick check of their apartment, and then left. On the porch, on my way back into early evening, one of the women asked me how old I was; "26" I answered and her eyes widened, both were happy. "Awesome!" The other exclaimed. I turned, and left.

Back down the suburban street as I searched, Mr. Pants jumped out of my arms and ran away. How could I have been so blind?

No comments:

Post a Comment