Thursday, March 17, 2011

Mini-squash

Getting ready for the reunion, we lined two by two. Steph was excited, and was showing off for Trev. Even though there weren't many in attendance, we were eager to begin. I told Steph to lead the line and we would walk two by two to our destination. My partner was Michael Chichioco.

We exited onto the street, it was night time and everything glowed as if it had just rained. We crossed the road with solidarity. I saw a car coming and playfully held out my hand to stop them. The car didn't see us, and everyone in the line behind me was flattened.

I was in disbelief, six people were squashed and the car drove away. My sister was one of the six! I turned around and got on my hands and knees to search for survivors. The six were miniature now, encased in a black SUV that was smashed beyond recognition. They were shrinking faster and faster and my tears pummeled their tiny pancaked bodies. I pulled out my phone and dialed 911, no answer.

Michael had run inside to get help and when he emerged he was Ben. He was going to flee the scene, saying "I'm moving to Canada." I tried to follow while dialing 911 again, saddened and on the edge of tears I replied "We already live there!" Dawn was near.

No comments:

Post a Comment