Friday, May 20, 2011

Orange Moon


After I changed into new clothes, I went out on the town to find my friends. At night, I was floating in an urban setting laced with natural elements, like a university campus.


I found Matt Ross and Jen O'Reilly seated on a giant volcanic rock near the park. We spoke about old times and I projected film captures taken of them years before, at the exact same spot. Michelle Hishmeh joined us, and we all laid on the rock amongst the tress in the night. Michelle hauled out the biggest joint so we began to toke and pass.


There must have been a festival happening in the woods, people began to emerge. A police cruiser came along down the road, Michelle told me to hide the weed, and so calmly I shoved the huge doobie into the pocket of my mint coloured jeans.


Later, friends had vanished and I was alone downtown, but happy. I was going to meet Brent Dawes and always looked forward to that. The festival was getting bigger, the entire city seemed to be having a party. I looked up to the CN tower and the face of the moon had replaced it's head, glowing orange in the night like a Chinese lantern.


The jovial nature of the people began to turn quiet. Their attention was drawn to the sky, where the stars were slowly disappearing into the blackness of the night. I watched with everyone else, as more stars began to explode like fireworks and then disappear into nothing.


The city quickly fell into lockdown, people scrambling everywhere, road blocks appeared as all grew silent and dark.


I knew the end was coming, I had to get home.


Out of fear I awoke. When I opened my eyes and looked out the window, there was an orange moon glowing in the starless night sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment